Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

My back upper right tooth fell out. It seems like the entire

Customer Question

tooth fell out, not broken.
It's has been loose for a few weeks. And gradually has been getting looser
and looser... It fell out a few hours ago.
No pain, No bleeding. No swelling. Nothing. Actually I'm glad it fell
out. The tooth was way in the back on my mouth, It was hard to get to
even when brushing. But never any pain. Not sure if this make sense but
my top teeth are proportional now, equal number.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a particular question that you need answered?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

I am on my way to work and will be away from the computer for a bit.Let me know what your question is and I will get back to you when I get to work.Thanks and sorry for any delay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I do about my tooth?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looking for general advice... I lost a tooth. should I do anything... I don't want to get an infection... do you want to see the tooth? I can take a photo.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

A picture would be helpful if you can upload it.Keep in mind,teeth falling out by themselves is indicative of a bigger problem.If this tooth and other teeth are loose it is most likely a sign of periodontal disease.It would be best if you got a full exam and xray to determine why this tooth fell out and if your other teeth are also in danger.Again,whole teeth with the roots attached rarely just fall out by themselves.Please upload the picture so I can see what you have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's a photo
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

The appearance of this tooth suggests that you have periodontal disease.This is normally a generalized condition and is many times hereditary.It can be controlled to some extent by having regular cleanings.There is nothing specifically that you need to do because the entire tooth is out and the gum will close up around what was remaining of the socket.It is important though that you get to a dentist and have an xray taken and evaluation to make sure that this is not going to happen to your other teeth.If it has been a long time since your teeth were cleaned,periodontal disease is likely the culprit here.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else that I can help you with or do you need more information?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last questions. What type of tooth was it and from what u can tell was it the entire tooth? Also what should i do. Normal brushing... Any mouth wash to kill any bracteria?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Because the view is limited ,From the picture it looks like an upper molar .Possibly a wisdom tooth.It has a single root which is not common in the molars except for wisdom teeth.It looks like the whole tooth is out.You can brush normally.You do not need mouth wash.If you had an xray of your mouth ,I could give you more specific information.Again it is not normal to just have a tooth fall out.This tooth had extensive bone loss around it so that is why I think you need to go in and get a complete exam to rule out periodontal disease.The other problem is that I cannot see the root tip surface in enough detail to determine if the very tip of the root is fractured or not.The xray will reveal all of this for you.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

When you get a chance,can you please supply a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site? Thanks