Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I have a question about a bump on my gum

Customer Question

Hi! I have a question about a bump on my gum
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Is the bump hard or soft? Can you post a picture of this bump? What color is it and how long has it been there? Is there any pain associated with any teeth around this bump?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is hard. The gum is sore around it but not the teeth. Thanks for getting back to me!
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

I do not see anything remarkable in the picture,it is a little unclear.Does it appear more like an ulcer with a whitish center or is it pink tissue covering the bump.The teeth look healthy in the area and I do not see anything tooth related.Can you try another shot more close up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe this is better?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It feels hard to the touch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can email you a video. It's clearer with video for some reason.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

This is a normal appearance of the gum tissue in the vestibule.There can be many presentations of the attached gingiva around and below the teeth.It is most likely that you may have bumped it or traumatized it some way ,sometimes it can happen with just brushing.The gum all appears normal and these bumps that you see are part of a normal presentation of the gum in this area.You really have nothing to worry about.Hard bumps have been there for a long time and this appearance is normal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it strange that it's suddenly sore though? Sorry to sound paranoia.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Coarse food , brushing, hot spicy foods or even viruses can cause the gums to be sore.The bump though is not pathological.You are just noticing it because it is sore.Something may have irritated the gum recently that you may have forgotten about.Rinsing with some warm salt water or hydrogen peroxide can help to keep the area clean.I do not see anything in the pictures that is cause for any concern.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

I would be glad to view the video but the pictures at this point show no abnormalities

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! It won't let me send it through here - is there an email address I could use?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

The site will not allow us to give an email address .Can you try it through these instructions?http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

If you can't get it to work,please contact customer service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not working. I will try customer service now!
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you still have a problem and I will see how we can correct it.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

If you let customer service know that you have no ability to post your files,they can figure out a way to correct this problem.It has to come from you.