Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

I had a temporary crown placed 4 days ago. I have an ache in

Customer Question

I had a temporary crown placed 4 days ago. I have an ache in and around that tooth which is relieved by taking Motrin. Usually a dose in the morning and one in the evening alleviates any discomfort. I do however have increased discomfort when waking in the morning, and it feels like it affects a larger area. I'm concerned that this means I need a root canal. This is my first crown and I'm not sure what is "normal". How long should I be uncomfortable, and do my symptoms indicate the need for a root canal?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

Very slight pain in a tooth that has been prepared for a crown is normal. This is because the enamel covering the tooth has been thinned down , making it a candidate for hypersensitivity. However, this pain should not reach a point where 2 tablets of Motrin daily are required to alleviate it.

This could mean that there is some irreversible damage to the pulp of the tooth (pulpitis), due to the mechanical and thermal irritation caused during the tooth preparation. I would suggest holding off on the permanent crown until the pain stops completely.

If it doesnt, remains the same or increases, yes the toot may need a root canal. Wait fo3 3 days more to decide.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

Im just following up ! Did my answer help? If yes, please leave a positive rating for me. I do not get credit for it otherwise

If you have any further question, do write back!

Regards,
Dr. Behere