Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I just had an X-ray infected crowned tooth. But was

Customer Question

I just had an X-ray for an infected crowned tooth. But was concerned about a whitened area between the two teeth in front of the molar. The dentist seemed to think it may be a baby tooth root? I'll be seeing a specialist for root canal through my crowned tooth, maybe they will have another opinion. What do you think? Should I be concerned?
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hopefully you can see the xray
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 1 year ago.

I believe that your dentist's contention about the opaque (white) area on the x-ray, immediately in front of the second premolar, is likely to be correct. This is indeed where one might expect a residual root from a primary molar to be if it was inadvertently left behind when the baby tooth exfoliated. Based on the appearance on x-ray, this is unlikely to pose any significant impact on your health, and no action needs to be taken for it.

Having said that, I do take issue with the design of the crown on the tooth that will receive root canal therapy. The prong-like rearward extension, apparently intended to close the space behind the tooth, can only serve to obstruct your efforts to maintain adequate oral hygiene. One can only assume that it's nearly impossible to use dental floss in this location. Because there seems to be some decay around the front margin of this crown, a replacement will probably be appropriate-- assuming the root canal therapy culminates successfully. At that time, a different strategy for closing that space should be considered, taking into account your need to keep the area clean and free of bacterial plaque.

Hope this helps...