Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

I've had issues with my teeth very time -- my smile

Customer Question

Hi all, I've had issues with my teeth for a very long time -- my smile looks great, but it's surface level. The back teeth are horrendous - I've had two rear molars extracted already over the years, and two others (one on either side) have been nursing
infections and abscesses for over 3 years now. I finally plucked up the courage to seek dental help. I met a lovely dentist; his plan is as follows: 1) Create a digital impression / scan of my teeth and jaws prior to extraction 2) Have a valplast flexible
partial made prior to the extractions, to replace a total of 4 molars (2 on each side; 2 are already extracted) 3) Go in for the surgery once the denture arrives; oral surgeon and dentist will fit the flexible partial immediately after the remaining two molars
are extracted Questions: Isn't a flexible partial more of a fixed denture? Meaning my gums will change shape after the extractions and ultimately won't fit? Should I be worried about a valplast partial being fitted the same day of the extractions? I am so
anxious I can barely even breathe!
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

1. Isn't a flexible partial more of a fixed denture?

-------- No, it is a removable denture, just made up of slightly flexible material, and without any metal hooks. It is completely removable, and in fact should be removed everyday and cleaned.

2. Meaning my gums will change shape after the extractions and ultimately won't fit? Should I be worried about a valplast partial being fitted the same day of the extractions?

---------- I wonder why your dentist has come up with this treatment plan. Why is there a need to load the ridge immediately with the valplast? The regular way to go about it would be, to extract the remaining 2 molars, wait for 6 weeks for complete healing to take place, and then make impressions. And then get the Valplast done. Your dentist's current treatment plan is more in line with anterior teeth replacement. In those cases, since aesthetics is a prime concern, immediate dentures have to be given.

I would not suggest you opt for this treatment plan , as the Valplast seated immediately will delay your healing for sure.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He says it's a) because you can easily see my molars when I smile, b) because my bite has collapsed and is already causing trauma to my front anterior teeth and they are at risk of damage without a bite and c) to act as a band aid for the extraction site - preventing swelling and also preventing dry socketWhat do you make of that?
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

a) You have been without 2 molars for a while now, 6 weeks isn't that much of a time. And molars being seen while smiling is almost unheard of. That is NOT considered the aesthetic zone in dentistry.

b) Yes, thats a more valid reason than the smile. I agree with that.

c) No, I dont agree. A denture doesn't act as a band aid, it delays healing.

I would suggest you wait for 6 weeks and then get the impressions made for the denture.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

Im just following up ! Did my answer help? If yes, please leave a positive rating for me. I do not get credit for it otherwise

If you have any further question, do write back!

Regards,
Dr. Behere