Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

Katz I am currently going through a situation with a tooth

Customer Question

Hello Dr Katz I am currently going through a situation with a tooth problem. I have my back right wisdom tooth. (Non impacted) it has been a bother for years and has decayed down to the gumline. It is basically a hole in my mouth that has had pain then stops for long periods then comes back. I am very worried about getting it pulled. It needs to get out but I suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and ocd. One of my compulsions is medicine, I rarely take anything and am always terrified I will suffer a reaction from medication that will then send me in a frenzy. The dentist is going to use a 3% lidocaine without epi and I have read that hallucinations are a possible side effect. This terrifies me and runs me in the cycle of not getting it pulled. I am in a rut. And I don't want to go under general nor do I want the gas. Any suggestions to calm my nerves? I get worried this tooth infection is going to spread. Any tips would be so appreciated. Thank you
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Keeping the tooth in your mouth will cause you more problems than anything else.I have never seen or heard of anyone having hallucinations from lidocaine in all of my 35 years of practice.Whatever you have read about this is basically untrue.You can have this tooth extracted without any worries.This is routine and the lidocaine has no deleterious effects in 98% of the cases.Some tachycardia occurs with epinepherine but lidocaine without epi has virtually no ill effects.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Do you need any further information?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

When you get a chance,can you please supply a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site? Thanks