Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I have swelling on my upper left cheek after having 2

Customer Question

I have swelling on my upper left cheek after having 2 fillings and a crown prepped and temp crown put on. Where he injected me 3 times with novocain. There isn't any pain its just slighty swollen around the injection sight near my left cheek bone. The gums and tooth are not swollen and don't hurt. I'm just concerned because I have had tooth infections in the past and really don't want another root canal.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

The most probable cause of your swelling is a hematoma.On some occasions ,the dentist will nick a small plexus of veins in the upper molar area and cayuse bleeding.When this happens the swelling comes up right away.This is a self limiting type of thing but can last for ten days or so .You may experience some color changes in your cheek from red to purple and then yellow as the blood is broken down.Sometimes we place patients on antibiotics because hematomas can be a good place for bacteria to grow.This is just a precautionary step.If your swelling came up right away and not many days after the work was done,you most likely have a hematoma.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Do you need any more information?