Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

My tooth is looking really unhealthy, it wants out of my

Customer Question

My tooth is looking really unhealthy, it wants out of my mouth and is coming out in pieces instead of one whole tooth. I'm scared if I don't figure out what went wrong it will happen to all of my teeth. The front of my teeth are really white and normal looking then the backside is looking more and more stained and unhealthy. I'm thinking its tooth decay. What should I do?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Has it been a long time since your teeth were cleaned in a dental office?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately yes. I haven't had dental coverage in years.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible for you to post a picture of this tooth or area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just took a photo of it with a little dental kit mirror a flash light and my phone. Part of the tooth is out the last piece that you see in there is looking very unhealthy :/ I'm trying to add the photo file and it isn't loading. Should I send the photo to the text alert number instead?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to view the photo? Its the best I could manage.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

The picture did not post.Try sending it to my research site at ***@******.***

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Ok ,your teeth generally look fine but this tooth is decayed way beyond repair and will need to be extracted.You have only a root remaining of this tooth.This tooth has been this way for some time and finally the last piece of it broke away.It is important that this tooth be removed because this area is infected,Try to get to a dental office and at least get an xray and exam so they can see what else else is going on.Like I said,from the picture,most of the other teeth look fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have scheduled an xray/ examination for ten days from now. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Good , Keep the area clear by rinsing with some peroxide or strong salt water.If you see any signs of swelling,call the dentists office and have them place you on some penicillin 500 mg every six hours.Let me know if there is anything else that i can help you with.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

When you get a chance,please supply a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site.Thanks.