Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

Had the first step of a root canal monday. my cheek is very

Customer Question

had the first step of a root canal monday. my cheek is very swollen. started antibiotic yeasterday.
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
waking in up in the middle of the night. cotton in tooth that i change. gotten worse each day.
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, sorry you are in so much distress now.

It takes 24-48 hours for the antibiotic to begin helping and hopefully you were given an adequate dosage as well. Please let me know what you were prescribed.

You should also be on warm salt water rinses : you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Please do NOT put any heat on the outside of your face and elevate your head when sleeping.

The second and third days following your visit may be the worst for you and then it should begin to calm down. Once the antibiotic kicks in you should see everything begin to return to normal. If you still in great distress on Friday you need to see your dentist to be sure that drainage is still there and that there is no blockage.

Does this make sense to you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
azithromycin. and i understand did a salt rinse once. i have been putting ice backs on my face, and taking ibuprofen.

You were not given the antibiotic of choice for dental infections. It should be Amoxicillin 500mg 4 times a day for at least 7-10 days. The warm salt water rinses should be done 2-3 times a day until the swelling starts to recede. Ice packs will not help this swelling but it will keep you busy.

If you are not getting better by tomorrow please call your dentist and have him check to be sure that there is adequate drainage and also to switch your antibiotic.

OK?

Hi, how are doing now?