Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I want to know if the back and sides of my mouth look normal

Customer Question

I want to know if the back and sides of my mouth look normal or if it looks like something is wrong. I have a reaaccuring blood blister on my cheeck that comes and goes for the last 5 years. I take valtrex for hsv2. I think I have lingua alba and it looks
a little red at the back of my mouth. The blood blister doesn't hurt or bleed. It just comes and goes
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When will I get a reply? I've attached pics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry forget 2 pics. Pls help
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Your mouth looks quite normal.You are doing some cheek biting causing the linea alba.The red blister is just a hematoma.Both of these things are benign and need no treatment.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Many people bite their cheeks as a nervous habit or when they are under stress.Sometimes we can buff the pointiness off of the molars so that the trauma from cheek biting is diminished.Wearing a night guard also can help reduce the trauma to the cheeks.In any case,this is not a serious problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What abt the white behind my wisdom teeth and the red veiny look on my soft palate ? Did you look at all the pics?why does the blister keep coming back in the same spot for 5 years? Does anything in those pictures look cancerous at all? What abt the little blood blister in the string under my tongue? I'm super scared
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't bite my checks at all
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

You may not be aware of your cheek biting,but that is a typical picture of cheek biting irritation.Your soft palate looks normal as does the underside of your tongue.There is nothing in any of the pictures that in any way is close to looking like cancer.The tongue has many varicosities and lymphoid tissue under it.The picture that you posted represents a normal appearance of the underside of the tongue.Some people don't actually chew their cheeks per se but suck on them sub consciously , pulling the cheek tissue against the custs of the teeth.The whitish area is just fibrous connective tissue that builds up from the irritation.The blood blister keeps coming back because you obviously have a tooth cusp that hits this area when you bite causing transient hematomas which is nothing more than clotted blood under the skin.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

My impression is that you probably suffer from anxiety or under alot of stress.I can assure you that from these pictures and your description,that you have nothing to worry about.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not stress or anxiety Dr. It's fear. So the same blood blister in the same place for 5 years is ok? Did u see the blood bubble in the tissue under my tongue?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

I am going to let another expert help you because you obviously are not believing what I am telling you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A second opinion would be appreciated. No disrespect Dr. Pls have him or her view all the pictures pls
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 1 year ago.

I will take at face value that you're experiencing recurrent/intermittent blood blisters on your cheek. Having said that, your photograph does not portray the typical appearance of a blood blister ("hematoma"), but rather a small venous formation usually referred to as a "venous lake". The bluish lesion under the tongue is also either a venous lake or a varicose vein. These structures are common in persons over the age of about 30 years, and are normal anatomic features. They have no health implications, and may be safely ignored.

If you are experiencing a true recurrent blood blister in exactly the same spot, this would imply that some type of repetitive physical injury is responsible. Such an injury may arise from a sharp tooth edge or a functional abnormality in the position or shape of your teeth. Your dentist may be able to assess the shape and position of your teeth to identify the offending upper/lower tooth contact and take some sort of remedial action, such as a selective re-contouring of the suspicious tooth contours. (Occasionally, some people develop blood blisters repeatedly in different locations in the mouth; this condition is known as Angina bullosa haemorrhagica, but this diagnosis would NOT apply in your case due to the consistency of location of your lesion.)

The whitish area immediately behind your lower wisdom tooth is referred to as "attached gingiva"; it is covered by a superficial layer of keratin, which is the mechanism by which gum tissue protects itself against mechanical friction. Areas of attached gingiva that sustain friction tend to thicken (i.e., become "hyperkeratotic"), which is an adaptive response analogous to the formation on the hands of someone who does heavy manual labor. Attached gingiva is likewise a normal anatomic feature; because it is also normal, it can be safely ignored. Likewise, the linea alba of the cheek is a result of keratosis of the cheek from the mechanical friction that accompanies the chewing process. The linea alba is, not surprisingly, always at the vertical level where the upper and lower teeth meet, which further underscores its functional origins. It is, as were the previous phenomena, a normal anatomic feature which may be safely ignored.

The "red veiny look on (your) soft palate" is a result of the thin, translucent nature of the tissues that cover this part of the mouth, that allows the rich network of tiny blood vessels to shine through and become clearly visible. (These tissues are NOT keratinized). The supply of blood vessels to these tissues is quite dense. If there is any abnormality in your photos at all (and this is over-reaching on my part), it may be that your soft palate may be a bit redder than average, although there is no way to exclude the possibility that this is just the normal appearance of your soft palate. These tissues may become a bit redder than accustomed in the presence of an upper respiratory viral infection or allergy, so if you have symptoms resembling a cold or allergy, this may merit a formal evaluation by your primary care medical doctor. However, there is nothing in any of your photographs that otherwise suggest any abnormality, much less malignancy. Were I to have examined you in person and found the visual characteristics displayed in your photographs, and I did not detect any other abnormalities during manual palpation and review of your medical history, my conclusion would be that of a normal adult without any conspicuous disease.

Hope this helps...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From my understanding and research a venous lake will never occur in the the mouth. Just on the lips or surrounding area or other parts of your body. How can I have this blister thing in my mouth for 5 years. When it comes out it feels raised. Then it will eventually go down and almost disappear. But I can always see the bluish color of it under my skin. It never bleeds or hurts. Under my tongue I'm talking abt the blood like thing right in the middle of the pic. The white behind my teeth doesn't resemble any type of gingiva I've ever researched? Sorry abt this but can you pls look at all the pics again. I agree abt the redness of the soft palate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Plus Pls enlarge the 7 picture of my hard and soft palate. What are all those little red dots?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. Pic 6 and 7 enlarged. What are all those little red and darker spots?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When will you be replying Dr?

All these questions have already been answered. If you want more reliable information, there is no substitute for an in-person formal diagnostic session with your dentist, who will be able to implement additional means of evaluation.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your answers are not accurate at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been referred to a new dentist and it's been over 24 hrs. Can you pls tell me when I will be getting a reply