Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I broke and fractured my jaw in 7th grade...I got it wired

Customer Question

I broke and fractured my jaw in 7th grade...I got it wired shut and I recovered but my jaw has always been kind of off since then. I'm now a junior in high school and for the past few months I have been having major jaw pain, lack of mobility when opening and closing my mouth,constant popping and clicking, my jaw locks sometimes, and I've been having a little bit of ear pain. Do you think I should go to a doctor? What could this be?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, what you describe can be easily expained especially if you are a grinder or clencher and if your bite is off when biting and chewing. Especially if you wake up in the morning with a sore jaw.

Stress is another cause of the symptoms you describe and ear pain is also a side effect of a stressed TMJ (temperomandibular joint).

I suggest you call your dentist who can examine and evaluate your occlusion and may even suggest a mouthguard to help you through this period of discomfort or may be able to just equilibrate your bite to change the pressures your jaw muscles are not going through.

Does this make sense to you?