Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

I'm on a yacht in the middle of the atlantic and my tooth is

Customer Question

I'm on a yacht in the middle of the atlantic and my tooth is killing me. How can I manage the pain or possibly extract the tooth
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

Do you have any pain-killers with you? If you do, try to switch between taking 400 milligrams of ibuprofen (e.g., 2 tablets of Advil), and 1000 milligrams of acetaminophen (e.g., 2 tablets of extra-strength Tylenol) every 3 hours. Be careful not to use these medications if you have had previous adverse reactions to either, or if you have had gastritis or peptic ulcer disease in the past, or if you have liver disease.

Next, try to cover your tooth with Vaseline petroleum jelly. This creates an insulating blanket on the tooth, sealing it off from its surroundings.

Do not attempt to extract the tooth yourself ! Teeth are attached to the bone by fibres called periodontal ligament fibres.

I would advise you to not try to pull the tooth yourself, for the following reasons:

1. Very specific movements of the tooth are required to break this fibre attachment, merely trying to yank the tooth out may fracture the tooth/bone.

2. Since you may not be able to follow strict asepsis, there are high chances of infection.

3. You will not be able to carry out proper wound dressing, nor would you be able to stitch the wound if the bleeding is excessive.

I hope this sees you through till you get to shore !

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere