Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

2 Weeks ago my 9 year old son rammed s bikes into a gate

Customer Question

2 Weeks ago my 9 year old son rammed his bikes into a gate and cracked his upper and lower permanent incisors. About 80% of the upper teeth were lost, and the pulp and nerves were exposed. The dentist then put a splint to the upper teeth and applied a white cast to protect the pulp and exposed nerves. Yesterday the dentist saw my son again and took some xRays. He'd like my son to be evaluated by an endodontist. I'd like to be prepared for the appointment with the endodotist. What is a typical course of treatment in these cases? Assuming that the root is in healthy? fractured?

The teeth were displaced laterally, which is the reason the dentist applied a splint.   Should we begin treatment now or wait for the teeth to stablize?

Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 1 year ago.

Hello, there may arise some situations like : an artificial crown or “cap” may be needed to restore the tooth.

Permanent teeth that are not fully developed at the time of the injury need special attention and careful follow up

Children between seven and 12 years old may not need root canal treatment since their teeth are still developing.

He may re-position and stabilize your tooth.

Good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the dentist pointed to the Xrays (which I posted) and said that

1. the teeth appear to be fully developed, and

2. the roots are not fractured.

Since most of the tooth is gone what are the options now?

The fractured crown parts are unlikely to mend and new ceramic teeth may be created to join the roots, or implanted as total replacement after removing roots.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

under what circumstances can a ceramic tooth be created to join the root as opposed to an implant after a root canal?

A hybrid structure may be less stable over years, due to stresses causing natural bone erosion. May be tried though before going for total replacement.