Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I had bottom left eye tooth abcess and after 7 days of

Customer Question

I had bottom left eye tooth abcess and after 7 days of antibiotics the swelling is down but tooth still sore and very sensitive to hot and cold. I am looking to get dentures but I need some time to research and save money for them. My question is, will I be okay to wait approximately 60 days to get all teeth extracted or should I get bad tooth taken out asap.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Antibiotics will not cure tooth infections.If you have an abscessed tooth,you have two choices,root canal therapy or extraction.The antibiotics cannot penetrate the pulp of the tooth so as soon as the antibiotics are stopped,the infection will return because the source of infection,the pulp of the tooth,is still full of bacteria.Taking antibiotics for more than 10 days will just set you up for antibiotic resistance requiring more expensive antibiotics and gastrointestinal problems.The answer to be truthful is that it is not ok to wait 60 days.This is an emergency procedure.Infection in the face is not to be taken lightly .If the tooth is firm and has good bone support,and can be used as a partial denture abutment,have the root canal done if the tooth is restorable.If not have the tooth extracted ASAP and avoid the trouble of a facial infection that only gets worse.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Is there something else that I can help you with?