Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

I got three teeth extracted yesterday at 4pm and I just

Customer Question

I got three teeth extracted yesterday at 4pm and I just accidentally dislodged the clot from on of the sockets after 32 hours. What do I do? Is there any way to avoid dry socket now?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

You are one of the unfortunate few who get a Dry Socket after an extraction. A dry socket is typically the result of something that has dislodged the normal blood clot, such as smoking, drinking through a straw, brushing the area, or trying to clean the extraction site. It isnt really dry, but given the name as the extraction socket doesnt have the blood clot and granulating (healing) tissue. I can imagine the excruciating pain you must be experiencing. The extraction socket takes a long time to heal , with a gaping hole is seen for a few weeks. The pain should subside after 10-12 days following the extraction date.

Im sorry, but for Dry Sockets, patience is the key. Avoid hot, spicy and hard foodstuff. Take more of cold, sweet and soft food.

A zinc-oxide eugenol based dressing placed in your extraction socket has been shown to help. This would have to be reviewed periodically and changed if required.

Your dentist will prescribe a strong analgesic like Ketorolac, which would bring about adequate pain relief.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't feel any pain. I'm trying to PREVENT dry socket, I just lost my clot a minute ago after 32 hours. Should I call my oral surgeon or dentist right now? It's one a.m. here.
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry but there is no way to predict, prevent or predictably treat a dry socket. There is no point in calling your dentist.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

Please leave a positive rating if my answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise!

Regards,

Dr Behere