Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I had 6 teeth grinded down veneers and my teeth are exposed,

Customer Question

I had 6 teeth grinded down for porcelain veneers and my teeth are exposed, the temps he put on don't cover the whole teeth
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

The reality is that the veneers will not cover the whole tooth either.Veneers are just expensive shells glued on to the front of the teeth.In my opinion they are a poor restoration because the retention of the veneers rely on a bonding cement.They are prone to fracture and falling off.They also make the teeth more bulky. In two weeks time,there is no real danger of decay.A better choice would be to have full crowns made.They are the same price,will protect the tooth,will seal the tooth completely and you do not have to worry about them coming off because if done properly,the retention is excellent.If you are dead set on having the veneers as your final restoration,you should make some type of warranty deal with the dentist.There are few cases that I have seen where veneers last without coming off.When they do come off,they usually need to be remade and it is usually at your expense . Make sure that you are happy with the appearance,feel, thickness and your bite before accepting these veneers.Switching to full crowns can be done by any good dentist. I am sorry,I just don't want you to have false hopes about these cosmetic shells.