Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I have what I think is a periodontal abscess (it came on

Customer Question

I have what I think is a periodontal abscess (it came on following a cleaning last week) - yesterday the dentist prescribed amoxicillin and I've been taking for 24 hours. I have a very swollen cheek and the pain has not been relieved much despite 24 hours of antibiotics. Today I notice a pus filled abscess at the gum behind the tooth (its a back molar) - can I drain this myself? My dentist is not open today.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

The antibiotic has not had enough time to work.It takes at least 48 hours before you will begin to see the effects of the amoxicillin.You should be taking 500mg every eight hours.I would not try to drain the abscess.You can rinse with some straight hydrogen peroxide out of the bottle or use a very strong salt water solution.Do you have any xrays of the area that you can upload? Were you told that you have periodontal disease? Did they say that you needed any other work done?