Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

My 4 year old girl has an abscess she's had antibiotics,

Customer Question

Hi my 4 year old girl has an abscess for which she's had antibiotics, dentist wishes to leave the tooth and see what happens before considering removal, is this a good idea or should it just be removed?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.The abscess will not heal with antibiotics and needs to be removed.If your dentist is not comfortable with extracting the tooth himself, you need to find a pediatric dentist that has been trained in anesthesiology to extract this tooth for her.The abscesses tooth needs to be extracted.Your dentist is giving you poor advice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Won't the antibiotics halt the spread of the abscess or at least help it improve a little?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
The antibiotics will temporarily keep the infection from spreading but will never cure the abscess because the antibiotics cannot penetrate the tooth.As soon as she is off of the antibiotics,the abscess will continue to fester.It would be unwise to keep her on the antibiotic any longer than a week.The tooth should be extracted ASAP.The sourc of infection is the pulp of the tooth and this area cannot be reached with antibiotics because there is no longer any blood supply to the tooth.These are straightforward extractions of baby teeth and really take less than a few minutes to remove.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I think I'll phone our dentist and ask for the tooth to be removed, it's a grey tooth that got bumped a few years ago and I've been checking for signs of an abscess ever since...
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Signs of abscess are swelling above the tooth,a pimple on the gum above the tooth or swelling in the face.If these signs are not evident,there is no reason to start antibiotics or to extract the tooth.Is this a front tooth that was traumatized?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was traumatised through a fall a couple of years ago, it changed colour to grey.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
If the tooth is just grey and there is no pimple above the tooth and no swelling,it is ok to just watch this tooth.It will come out on its own within the next two years.If there is swelling and a pimple,it should be extracted.This is a very common occurrence with front teeth and small chidren.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for having the question closed after receiving your answer.It restores my faith in the honesty of human beings.You have a great day now.