Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner
43314942

I had a lot of tooth pain when eating only, told dentist and

Customer Question

I had a lot of tooth pain when eating only, told dentist and said right away I need a root canal. That night before antibiotics the old filling fell out and I have had no pain and very minor sensitivity to cold. Dentist insist on root canal. Do I need a root canal or just fix the filling?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 1 year ago.

You quite likely (sorry...) will need the root canal. The real "for sure" telling logic of do you or don't you need a root canal - is the ever so telling x-ray. If your Dentist is basing his "you need a root canal" theory exclusively on what you wrote above - there is a slight chance of him being wrong. But the x-ray? It tells the truth with almost 100% accuracy. So, if you've not already had an x-ray, I'd get one asap. I hope this helps you Sir.

Dr. Rampton

*PS: Often, once the filling comes out, the pressure inside the tooth, can now "breathe", and thus, less pressure, equals less or no pain...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great response

I hope it does make sense. If you would, please "DO" rate my response. Thank you!