Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I have a question. I had 3 root canals and crowns placed

Customer Question

I have a question. I had 3 root canals and crowns placed late 2014. Since that time within the last two weeks 2 crowns broke at the gumline and the 3rd crown I have noticed is loose, just as the 2nd crown was before it came off. Something isn't right!!
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.You are right to suspect that there is something wrong.Crowns should last for decades.The ones that last the longest are the porcelain fused to metal crowns or all gold crowns.Many offices today are making a cheap substitute that fractures and have little retention.If the crowns are coming off and breaking,you should request that they be remade with porcelain fused to metal.These crowns should last 20 to 30 years or more.There is a reason that insurance companies only cover crowns every five years.It is because they are supposed to last.Either the crowns were prepped incorrectly or the lab did an inferior job of making them.Once the crowns fracture,they are no longer serviceable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your answer. So I think that you are saying that recementing the crowns is out of the question???
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

There are instances where a crown may come loose after a number of years and these crowns can be recemented and there are no problems.When you have repeated times where the same crowns come off,there is definitely a problem.If the crown fractures that easily, it was either because the tooth was not prepped adequately or the material was not made thick enough to withstand biting pressure.This is true many times with the all white crowns that are made today with no metal core.If your crown has come off twice since 2014,there is something wrong and the crowns need to be remade.If they are not,you can expect this to happen again and again.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.