Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

I had a tooth extraction on Friday and now I have a hard

Customer Question

I had a tooth extraction on Friday and now I have a hard swelling in my gum above the extraction site. It has not gone down at all and it has been almost a week. Should I see my dentist again for an urgent visit or is this sometimes normal healing? Could using my cpap machine for sleep apnea be slowing my healing?
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Adding: Have had a nosebleed in left nostril and it is very dry. The extraction was very complicated and took over an hour. It was basically a healthy tooth but a very large filling came out and them my tooth crumbled around it, so the whole tooth needed to come out. Upper tooth, midway back.
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

If the device that you are using is covering any part of the extraction socket, then yes it can interfere with healing. From what you describe, the swelling you have in your gums could be a residual; infection . Are you taking antibiotics? If yes, then give it some time, the swelling will go down.

If no, then please contact your dentist for prescription antibiotics immediately.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere