Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I have a hard type of swelling in my gum above the site of a

Customer Question

I have a hard type of swelling in my gum above the site of a tooth extraction from last Friday. I'm also wondering if my cpap for sleep apnea could be slowing down my healing process.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

If the swelling is new,it really would be difficult for it to be hard.What you are probably seeing or feeling is the remaining bone around where the tooth was extracted.Without the tooth in place,it may feel like a bump above the area because there may have been an exostosis or tori present prior to the extraction.Now it is more prominent.It has most likely been there for a long time and you are just now noticing it.These are harmless bony growths that need no treatment.As long as your CPAP mask is not putting direct pressure on the extraction site,it should not interfere with your healing.If you need more information please ask.