Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I had dental surgery infection. I was on antibiotics

Customer Question

I had dental surgery for an infection. I was on antibiotics for the infection. Do I finish the antibiotics or not.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, you ask a question that is often asked and the answer is YES! You should always complete the entire dosage of an antibiotic each and every time you take one. If you do not complete the entire dosage there is always the possibility that the next time you need this antibiotic it will not be as effective in helping you because of the possiblity of resistance from the bacteria not totally destroyed the first time you had this antibitoic. This is why it is always recommended that you finish all the antibiotic medication even if you are feeling just fine. Very different for pain pills which you can stop when feeling better.

Hope this helps!

Are you ok?