Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

My son started antibiotics (amoxicillin) a day and a half

Customer Question

My son started antibiotics (amoxicillin) a day and a half ago for tooth infection for wisdom tooth that hasn't irrupted yet. the dentist prescribed mouth wash as well. He still has some swelling in his cheek. but he says he is fine. He will get on an hour and a half flight to vegas where he will stay 2 nights. any advice re flying etc. thank you. He is not scheduled to get tooth out until oct. 4th. I think our dentist said he will be in more pain once the tooth irrupts. is that true? thank you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

The amoxicillin still has not had enough time to work.He should be on 500 mg every 8 hours.It will take at least 48 hours to see some effects.If the tooth has not erupted, ,your son will have no difficulty flying because what he is experiencing is pericoronitis.This is just an infection around the tissue overlying the tooth.There are no pressure problems associated with this type of infection.The tooth itself is not infected,only the overlying tissue.Many times it is the wisdom tooth above the lower tooth that is causing the problems.If you have an xray to upload,I could give you a better idea of what is going on.With all of the dentists around,you should be able to find one that can get this tooth out more quickly if it is really necessary.