DrHoellering
DrHoellering, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of internal and general medicine self employed
61885400

It's been almost 3 months since wisdom teeth extraction and

Customer Question

It's been almost 3 months since wisdom teeth extraction and my left jaw and under it are really swollen, I cannot have anything touch my face on the area and inside my mouth there looks like a place that is bleeding. I've told the surgeon this whole time it did not feel right like it wasn't healing and was really sore. I just finished a 10 day round of Clindamyacin and have taken Penicillin twice since surgery. My mom has had a broken jaw and said hers did this same thing when it happened. I have basically been on liquids for 3 months and the surgeon says it's just TMJ and he's stumped. I have lost 20 pounds since the surgery and I can barely open my mouth enough for a regular spoon. What else can I do when nobody will listen? I've even been to ER and they just send me home to follow up with surgeon.
Category: Dental
Expert:  DrHoellering replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Something is definitely very wrong, and you need a follow up by somebody who cares. Your condition might be due to two possible reasons: One is your jaw was actually broken and cannot heal because it wasn't fixed. The other is an infection of the bone which should decrease after clindamycin (which penetrates well into tissue and bone and s the proper antibiotic for this issue. An x-ray would be helpful and necessary. I suggest you visit a private maxillo- facial surgeon to get this done. I'd rather pay some extra money than go on like this!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Drove 90 minutes to a surgeon that is very well known where I grew up. He had to remove bone fragments and cut bone or something. It was a lot of digging into it and sounded awful. Really in pain tonight but think I found someone that believes me now. The original dr acted almost arrogant, like he knows my body better than I do. Which ticks me off with any dr! This guy has been in practice for a super long time. When I posted on Facebook I was going to him I got so many comments of others that went to him. Such a relief!

I am glad you found somebody to help you. Bone fragments are due to a broken bone like I assumed. Good that you have people who support you, too. Arrogance is often used to cover helplessness. . But as you saw, doctors are not all alike. I wish you a soon recovery. Ibuprofene will help against the pain.

Thank you for a positive rating for my support.

You have read my answer but didn't give a positive rating yet. Is there any question open? Feel free to ask!