Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

I had a root canal done on one of my front teeth on

Customer Question

I had a root canal done on one of my front teeth on Wednesday it was the final treatment. 4 days later I am still in excoriating pain, the tooth hurts but also my face feels swollen around my nose and checks and other teeth are sore. I have been taking panadol and ibuprofen which helps to dull the pain for a little while but the swelling seems to have increased in the 4 days. I saw the dentist who did it again on Friday and she just said it is a reaction from the "Cement" and will go away in a few days - the pain isn't getting any less do I need to worry and get emergency dental treatment or will this stop
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

Mild to moderate pain that lasts up to a week following a root canal can be considered as normal. However, you have a swelling as well, which is increasing in size. I think the tooth needs to be opened up again.

The reasons for your pain could be :

1. Over instrumentation (going beyond the root canals during the cleaning procedure)

2. Forceful irrigation (injecting the irrigant solution which pushes it past the root canals)

3. Contact of opposing tooth on the tooth being treated between appointments (ideally there should be no contact even on biting until the crown is cemented in place)

4. Inadequate instrumentation (some amount of pulp tissue is still left , which can be the source of pain)

5. An entire root canal missed (not picked up on an X ray and hence not cleaned)

6. A broken instrument being left inside the root canal which forms a nidus for infection leading to failure of the root canal.

7. The root canal is not filled entirely, which leads to an incomplete seal at the apex of the root, from which leakage of microbial products occurs and thus infection.

Discuss all these possibilities with your dentist. Im sure one of these is the reason why it is hurting. This is not likely to stop on its own. Moreover, since you have a swelling, you need antibiotics, not just painkillers.

Also, keep icing the swelling as much as possible. remember npt to put any heat on it.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere