Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

What are the reasons a child ages 9-13 years old should be

Customer Question

What are the reasons a child ages 9-13 years old should be getting braces?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
There are many reasons why children ages 9-13 get braces.The most important one is that there is not enough space for the teeth to erupt because of the size of the jaw.Children inherit genes for jaw size and teeth size from their parents.If they inherit a jaw size too small for a larger size tooth to erupt,there is a mismatch.This age is ideal for tooth and jaw movement with orthodontics because the jaw is still growing and the teeth are still erupting.We can guide bone growth with appliances to expand the jaw so that there is adequate room for the teeth to erupt.If there is no problem with crowding or the bite,then chidren do not need braces.Each case has to be evaluated individually.I would need to see the xrays and pictures or study models of your child's particular case to be able to determine if braces would be appropriate.Does any of this make sense? Do you need any more specific information?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Is there any more information that I can provide for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter has perfectly straight teeth except her one canine tooth on the top left is coming out from above her gum line. Orthodontist wants to pull out 4 of her teeth and bring it down to align it. Is it medically necessary to do this? Meaning is her mouth in imminent danger if she doesn't get it done immediately? Or is it something she can live with that won't effect her health?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

If there is no room for the canine tooth to erupt,space needs to be made for it to do so.This is an important tooth in the mouth as it will form the contour of her upper lip.Is it medically necessary ,no.If this is not done within the next two or three years,her canine will erupt outside of her normal bite and her lip on that side will protrude outward and she may not like the way that looks.Can you send a picture of the area so that I can get a better idea of how much space she has? If you can get a shot of her with her teeth together that will help also.Teeth movement in this case will not effect her health.The issue is doing this early will be a lot easier than doing it when she is 30.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Is there any other information that you need?