Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

Thanks advice, I was told not to use cold after 24 hours but

Customer Question

Hello Doctor thanks for the advice, I was told not to use cold after 24 hours but I will try it now. What about the hot salt water rinses, I just got the stitches removed and I cannot brush. In addition I have a sinus issue on that side of my face the
other day some water dripped from my nose(this has happened before), and my eye got very swollen too the other day. I asked the dentist why he did not drain the area and he said that the bone graft did that, I still have packing in there as well that is scheduled
to be removed in 10 days ,is this all the correct procedure, I just don't understand why I am swollen, and why I still have that bump on my gum??? Could the swelling possibly be permanent as it has been 2 weeks now? I am getting worried
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for requesting for me to answer your question.
Warm salt water rinses are fine, you can do those.
Not being able to brush is normal after a traumatic surgery, let some times pass and you should be able to brush as usual.
Was the dripping from your nose happening after u drank water or any other liquid? If yes, then it could be an oro-antral fistula. This is a communication that is developed between the oral cavity send the maxillary sinuses, due to a surgical procedure like an extraction. This needs to be closed surgically if required.
Regarding the bump on your gum, is it possible for you to upload a photo of that area here? You can either attach the photo directly with your reply or use an external photo sharing site like www.imgur.com and paste the URL of the photo in your reply.
Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.
Please leave a positive rating if my answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise!
Regards, *****