Dr. Peel
Dr. Peel, Dentist
Experience:  General dentist with 20+ years of experience.
17496805

I am in severe pain. I have a shell of a tooth. It is my

Customer Question

I am in severe pain. I have a shell of a tooth. It is my left back molar. It has been just a shell of a tooth for years but is giving me real problems the past few weeks. I need it pulled but cannot afford that right now. I have no dental insurance. I think a antibiotic and something for the pain could help me until I can save up the 200.00 to get it pulled. What can I do?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are having that problem. Sounds like an infected or what we call "abscessed" tooth. It is sad but even emergency rooms will not help by pulling it and will charge well over $200 just to give you a prescription.

Well, you at least know it needs to be extracted. Until you can go to your dentist I will provide you with a couple of ways to treat it and symptoms may subside but they will come back even if they go away for awhile.

1. warm compress over affected side

2. Warm and strong salt water rinse (place 2 tsp salt in 6 oz very warm water.rinse and repeat until gone) This helps lower the bacterial count in that area and can calm or soothe the area.

3. Take two tablets of Motrin (Ibuprofen) 200 mg and then if after 2-3 hours, there is no relief from pain and fever, take two Tylenol 325 mg tablets. Alternating these two can help the pain considerably.

This is the best advice anyone can give until you see your dentist. An antibiotic can help as well but would require a prescription and I am not sure you can obtain that. There are some pharmacies that will dispense if you go see them in person. Not sure in your area.

I hope you feel better.