Dr. Peel
Dr. Peel, Dentist
Experience:  General dentist with 20+ years of experience.
17496805

I have chronic bad breath and I have to solve this problem

Customer Question

I have chronic bad breath and I have to solve this problem asap.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

About 85% of bad breath cases result from oral conditions. A variety of systemic and extra-oral conditions account for the remainder. Bad breath is caused by volatile sulfur compounds or VSCs that are produced by anaerobic bacteria in your mouth.

The first thing that you should do is get a clean bill of health from your dentist. If, after a thorough scaling (oral prophylaxis) procedure, and after eliminating all possible sources of infection and food entrapment in the oral cavity, your halitosis still persists, then we can consider the other less common reasons for bad breath, which i will describe below.

Reflux of stomach acids into the esophagus and as high as the throat is known as gastroesophageal reflux and can cause halitosis ( bad breath). This can be confirmed by tests like barium esophagram, pH monitoring, and endoscopy.

Bad breath or halitosis can be caused by nasal or throat conditions like sinusitis; chronic nasal airway obstruction (such as which might occur with a deviated nasal septum) chronic tonsillitis particularly when associated with deep crevices known as crypts which accumulate partially digested food.

Halitosis may also be be related to odors which are excreted in expired air. Certain drugs release odors into expired breath from the lungs. All of these ingested substances are metabolized usually in the liver with breakdown products traveling in the blood stream where they eventually reach the lung tissues where a gas exchange occurs.

Systemic illnesses can also manifest with bad breath, like ( commonly):

uremia (kidney failure)

diabetic ketoacidosis

liver failure

I suggest a consultation with a physician to discuss all these causes.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I will try my best to provide you with the answer to your question.
Can you describe the condition of your teeth? Do you have periodontal pockets?
Do you have acid reflux? Indigestion?
Do you have any fillings/crowns that are old and may be leaky?
Please answer these questions and I will get back to you.