Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner
43314942

I saw a dentist yesterday...first time in 5 years...they did

Customer Question

hi...I saw a dentist yesterday...first time in 5 years...they did a cleaning and examination...I take relatively good care of my teeth..but there were a few issues...and I'm scheduled to see him tomorrow...my teeth were sore all last night and today...and during supper ...1 hour ago...I take a bite of chicken and 3/4 of my front tooth breaks off...I'm pissed big time...what do you think happened during my appointment...and how do I approach him tomorrow?i know it needs to be fixed...but should I have to pay?should I even go back to the same guy?really need some advice...thankyou...Johnny
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 1 year ago.
Hello Johnny. I'm so sorry... that happened!
Is it a top front tooth or a lower front tooth?
Also, might you (not essential) be able to send a picture of the tooth?
Dr. Rampton
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
top front tooth
OK, thanks.
I was curious because often the "lower" front teeth have a larger amount of tartar. Of course removing the tartar would not & should not be blamed, but it sometimes is the reason for a lower tooth possibly breaking. But the problem is one of the top teeth.
Johnny, the somewhat bad news here for you, is that it is about 3/4 of the tooth - which broke. Almost certainly, the tooth will likely need a crown & a core build up (CBU). It could, but hopefully won't need a root canal, as well. Let's not count on that though!
In truth, I totally "get it", it makes you first feel like they planted a time bomb on your tooth or something. But, I'm almost 100% certain we're (sadly) just dealing with some bad luck here.
Here is some information, that might be of help...?
Here is a few alternatives to you (provided you live in the USA) :
1. Try to contact the local dental society in your area and see if there are any charitable organizations or foundations that will do your treatment for a reduced fee.
You can find the contact information of your local dental society by visiting :
http://ebusiness.ada.org/mystate.aspx
2. Consider getting treatment from a dental school near you . The charges are lesser than those charged by a private practitioner.
Here is a link with the list of all the dental schools in the USA:
http://www.dentalsite.com/dentists/densch.html
3. Here is a website that lists dental offices that offer free and discounted clinics all across the country. Search for one in your area. Read each listing carefully as restrictions apply to some of the listed outlets.
http://www.freemedicalcamps.com/
4. One other option is to apply for Care Credit financing; their relaxed credit requirements facilitate payments for dental service that might otherwise not fit comfortably into your budget. You can refer to the Care Credit web site, which also has a directory for participating dentists. See: http://www.carecredit.com/
I'm hoping that one of these might be of help. And, if you have no concerns with costs, or the Dentist just seen recently, you always could go back to him. I hope this help you Johnny!
Johnny, I've got to run... I'll check back in a couple hours or so, if you should have any further concerns/questions. Sorry about your tooth. I hope some of the above conversation might help you Sir!
Dr. Rampton
Johnny,
So, how are you doing? Tell me your concerns with your upper broken tooth. Is it primarily cost? The mere hassle of getting it fixed, etc.?
Thanks,
Dr. Rampton