Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I just had a upper dentures made and instead of helping my

Customer Question

I just had a upper dentures made and instead of helping my teeth line up into a comfortable jaw position they now or causing me to have a. Very pronounced overbite with jaw and neck pain. I am in the process of getting them fitted., was he correct in doing this or is it standard procedure to make short teeth. He deliberately knew that I was going to have a pronounced overbite. This does not make sense to me. I brought this up to him but he seemed to think that it was fine. Is he right in doing this?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.Did they do a wax tryin with the teeth set in wax before the denture was made? Is this an immediate denture or one that was put in as soon as your teeth were extracted?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they did I had to point out some things on the denture at that time to the point that I felt uncomfortable. He did not discuss to me about what kind of bite I had. It is an immediate denture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was an immediate denture but I had already had half of my teeth removed and gums healed
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Immediate dentures do not have a try in stage.This denture is not a custom denture and should be only considered a temporary denture.These type of dentures have not been made custom to your bite and are extremely unreliable when it comes to looks and function.If they did not explain this to you,then they were not doing their jobs.A custom made denture will be made by taking measurements and they will have a try in stage where you will actually try the denture in while the teeth are set in wax to make sure that they are perfect before they are processed.Immediate dentures are temporary only and not something that you should be stuck with.Your real denture will look and feel much better.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything that is unclear? If the denture is already processed, there is nothing that can be done with the set of the teeth or the pronounced overbite.This needs to be done at the try in stage.Since there was no try in stage,you are kind of stuck with what you have.A new custom denture made properly is the way to solve your problem.