Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner
43314942

What do I do if taking muscle relaxants and doing exercises

Customer Question

what do I do if taking muscle relaxants and doing exercises and the trismus from a root canal is now almost 3 weeks
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry you are having difficulty with your jaw...

As you likely are well aware, trismus is a temporary condition, as opposed to a disease or permanent problem. It is not typical to have trismus after a root canal, although it certainly could happen. I would be inclined to continue with the muscle relaxants, see the Physician as needed, and with time (sorry to tell you that - as I also would want to fix this trismus immediately)! But, it may well likely just be more time needed (sadly)...

Here is a good article about trismus. I hope it may be of some help to you: http://www.exodontia.info/files/Dental_Update_2002._Trismus_-_Aetiology_Differential_Diagnosis_and_Treatment.pdf