Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I had a crown lengthening done on a molar tooth four months

Customer Question

I had a crown lengthening done on a molar tooth four months ago and the gum tissue has grown back around the tooth pretty thick. Is this normal?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Crown lengthening procedures are iffy at best.In all of my 35 years of practice,I may have seen one good crown lengthening procedure done.It is not normal to have thick tissue around the tooth and if it has grown up past the previous margin,the procedure will most likely have to be revised.I would not let them recharge you for this procedure.If it is not done properly,it needs to be redone.Did a periodontist do the procedure or a general dentist?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Did they deem that the crown lengthening was successful?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had procedure down by a very well respected periodontist with 40 years in practice. I would love to get a periodontist to answer this question if at all possible. It was deemed a good procedure.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
I will opt out and let another expert handle your question but I am unsure if there are any periodontists on this site