Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I'm having some wisdom tooth pain. It's been been

Customer Question

Hi! I'm having some wisdom tooth pain. It's been been recommended that I extract the tooth. But,is there a way that I could just get the tooth filled,with a possible root canal instead?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

It would be hard to give you an accurate diagnosis without seeing an xray.Normally we do not do root canals on wisdom teeth unless the wisdom tooth presence is really necessary.If the tooth just has a cavity ,it can be filled.If the tooth is hurting because the decay has reached the pulp,we usually remove these teeth because at that point you would need a root canal on the tooth.Most people will not want to go to the expense of root canaling and crowning a wisdom tooth because these teeth are normally considered extra teeth and you can in most cases function fine without them.If you have an xray to upload,I would be glad to look at it for you.