Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

My periodontist agrees with the hygienist that I have 2

Customer Question

My periodontist agrees with the hygienist that I have 2 teeth in the upper left that have deep pockets of 7 mm. A surgical procedure is recommended: D4261 Oss Surgical-Inc Flap Entry/CL She said that if I don’t have this surgery, I should have my teeth
cleaned 4 times a year to see if that will help restore the gums. I’m not sure what level of cleaning is recommended I also have one tooth on the upper left that has a pocket of 5mm The same surgical procedure is recommended. Should I have the surgical procedure
or should I have the 4 cleanings in the next 12 months? If cleaning is the best option, what level of cleaning is necessary? Thank you for your advice.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
I would be happy to look at your xrays to give you some more accurate information about your case.In the meantime,my suggestion would be to avoid the surgery and have a good deep scaling done first.Depending on your home care,you should return for regular cleanings every 3 or 4 months.Some people accumulate calculus quicker than others and for these patients,a cleaning every 3 months is in order.If you are not one of these patients,a cleaning 3 times a year is usually quite sufficient.The surgery is pushed in many cases because they make more money this way.The results are not impressive and I would avoid the surgery unless it is absolutely necessary.You should always go with a nonsurgical approach before deciding for periodontal surgery.Save your money,forget the surgery for now and just get an inexpensive water pik.These devices work better than any other on the market for this type of problem.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Is there any further information that you need?