Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

My dental hygienist and dentist are insisting that I have a

Customer Question

My dental hygienist and dentist are insisting that I have a "deep cleaning" to the tune of $1000 because I have several areas (4) that have a gum number of 6, indicating pockets of anaerobic bacteria. Is this something I really need, especially at this price. The rest of my gum numbers are 1, 2 and 3.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 1 year ago.
The fact that you have four areas that have pockets this deep is concerning. Even if the other pockets are less severe, you may have calculus and tissue damage (inflammation) elsewhere that needs attention. Deep cleaning is sometimes done in quadrants. It is time consuming and even if anesthesia is used it can be painful the next day or two. Dentists like to allow a few days to heal before the next quadrant is started for that reason. The office time and multiple appointments are what makes this expensive.Having said that, if the 4 areas are only around one or two teeth in one quadrant, not all necessarily need this special attention. If these areas are spread out it is more likely due.Periodontal disease can spread and if not addressed comprehensively can get worse, causing loss of teeth.I know it sounds like a lot but it is worth it to save. Follow up should be regular, 3 - 4 month regular cleanings. Investment in a sonic brush and a good water pick may help after the initial deep clean.I hope this helps. Please ask more if I can help you further.