Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I had all four wisdom teeth extracted. So many complications

Customer Question

I had all four wisdom teeth extracted. So many complications with my right lower side, had to go back for a debriment. Its been over 2 months since the last procedure and I woke up 2 days ago with a huge knot and tight jaw.. and lucky me a swollen face. ITs really been a long rode considering I haven't seen my face normal size since Jan.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.Did you have any other dental work that needed to be done? Do you have an xray of your mouth that you can upload? Where exactly is the swelling and is anything in your mouth hurting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had X-rays done... nothing showed up. When we did the the debriment he found a hematoma and "hamburger looking" scar tissue that he cleaned out. theres is a bumb on my lower jaw on the right where the extraction took place. Also there a a huge not in my cheek it feels hard a lumpy. Very swollen. I need answers I got my wisdom teeth taken out 6 months go and the second procedure on the right almost 3 and its worst now. The extraction heeled up nicley no puss, bleeding or infection closed up. then all of a sudden i get a knot building up inside for what reason have any ideas could this be a mal practice I've read online this has happened to people before but couldn't find why or how they fixed it. Also am i chargered for every response???
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
You are not charged for every response.What I am wondering is that swelling that appears this much later may be involving a problem with another tooth.Do you have a recent xray that was taken of the area that you can upload?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they checked that 2 different people and said no other tooth or anything was abnormal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its almost like a knot that never went away and keeps growing and getting more dense
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no X-rays with me
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
It is important to get an xray of this area ASAP.Without an xray of the area,it would be hard for me to make an accurate diagnosis.I would find a new oral surgeon and get another opinion rather than going back to the same one.Were you placed on antibiotics after the surgery? It would be highly unusual to still have swelling from the extractions in January.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I was told to rub the area and apply heat to brake up scare tissue I did that and a little knot never went away or the lump inside my mouth and now My whole face is starting to swell again and the lump inside my cheek is getting harder and larger but the one on my jaw inside my mouth is the same size
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Were you placed on antibiotics at the time of the surgery or afterwards?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after I did 4 rounds plus a steroid
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
If you are having swelling,it is most likely from an infection.It is important at this point to have a new panorex xray taken of your mouth and you need to see a competent and experienced oral surgeon.What you are experiencing is unusual and to diagnose your problem without seeing an xray of the area would be nearly impossible.Swelling in the face should not be ignored.If this swelling is compromising your airway,you need to get to an emergency room.Most oral surgeons have a 24 hour telephone line that they can be contacted on.I would not delay in getting an appointment in the morning and let them know that this is urgent.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
I am going to sign off for the night.I will check back in the morning to see if you need more information.