Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I had to have a back molar (bottom of mouth) extracted

Customer Question

Hello
I had to have a back molar (bottom of mouth) extracted a week ago and that area is looking well and not hurting.
A couple of days ago I had a sharp pain in one of
My front teeth at the top and it has been bad ever since. The pain goes when I put pressure on the back of the tooth. Does this sound like an infection or just a strange coincendence?! Thanks for your help.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.Do you have any swelling in the gum above this tooth? Do you have any other missing teeth that have not been replaced besides the molar that was just extracted?Is this tooth loose at all?Is this front tooth sensitive to hot or cold?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The gum feels slightly tender above the tooth. Cold doesn't bother it at all but heat makes it ache. It is not loose.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
The swelling and sensitivity to heat are normally signs of a tooth that has irreversible pulpitis or is dying.Do you have any other teeth in your mouth that are missing and have not been replaced? Does this tooth have any fillings in it or has it ever been traumatized in the past either by striking it or being hit?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Does this tooth have any discoloration?