Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

Due to bone loss, I had human bone put into my gum to prepare

Customer Question

Due to bone loss, I had human bone put into my gum to prepare for inplants. I am feeling uncomfortable and feel that I should have had synthetic bone instead. I am scared that I probably expose myself to the donor illnesses. I had it done yesterday and was wondering if I could take it out and replace it with synthetic. Also, did my body start to absorb the bone already and Is it too late because watever is in the bone is already part of me. I am scared . Please advise me.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.You really do not need to worry about the bone that was used.This bone material has been put through extremely rigorous purification and has been sterilized and tested repeatedly.The purification process is so extensive that no living cell can survive the process.The bone does not get abosorbed it really just attaches and most of it does not even do that.There is no need to remove the bone at this point.The question is whether the bone grafting was needed in the first place.Some discomfort after extractions and grafting is normal for 3 to 4 days so the issue is very unlikely the type of grafting that was used but the procedure itself.There really should be no worry about getting any disease from this material.Nothing can live on this bone after it has been through the purification process.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Is there any additional information that you need?