Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

My daughter is 4 1/2 and was complaining of her ear and mouth

Customer Question

My daughter is 4 1/2 and was complaining of her ear and mouth hurting. We swim quite a bit so I thought it might be an ear infection. However, I felt her gums and the lower back right gum is quite inflamed. Could she be getting a 6 year molar, or is it probably an ear infection? No fever, no swelling of lymph nodes, normal eating at dinner, normal behavior, etc. thanks.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer. Yes, as you have suspected, that could be a first permanent molar starting to come in. Although the expected age for this is 6, there have been some variations in the, especially in girls. If the gum directly behind her last seen baby tooth is slightly swollen as well, then it is almost sure to be because of a adult tooth coming in. For now, get a local anesthetic gel from the pharmacy to apply to the sore gum so that she can eat without pain. A X ray of that area will confirm the position of the underlying permanent tooth. However, please get her ear checked from a Ear specialist as well. Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.Good Luck !Regards,Dr. Behere