Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I had a wisdom tooth pulled (back right) 12 days ago the tooth

Customer Question

I had a wisdom tooth pulled (back right) 12 days ago the tooth in front of the extracted site has begun to ache almost feels like it is twisted or has pressure on it - is this normal and will it eventually go away? The tooth that aches had a filling replaced in it one week before the wisdom tooth extraction.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.
I would like to get a positive rating from you so if you are not completely satisfied with my answers please let me know. Thanks!
Hi, since the extraction was over 12 days ago and the site is healing, according to your dentist, then the tooth is probably reacting to the new restoration that was placed earlier.
Sensitivity to biting and chewing and sensitivity to hot or cold foods are the things that you should be looking out for!
If it is sensitive to biting or chewing then your dentist can first try adjusting your bite so that the occlusion is not traumatic.
If it sensitive to temperature and the symptoms disappear within seconds after the cold/hot stimulation then the rebound reaction of your nerve is considered ok and the tooth should calm down over time. If however, the temperature sensitivity lingers for several minutes or so or wakes you at night then you need to see your dentist for a pulp test to determine the health of the nerve. If the pain lingers (poor rebound reaction) then a root canal may be in your future.
If the restoration was deep then it could take some time for it to calm down. It could take as long as 2-3 months for a nerve to calm down as long as you feel it is getting better. If it is getting worse over time or shows no improvement then you would have to go back to the dentist for an evaluation.
Does all this make sense to you?
Does Advil/Tylenol take care of your discomfort?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Doc - prior to the extraction the tooth that now aches felt fine before the wisdom tooth extraction. I have been taking advil but hate to continually have to take something. The tooth is not sensitive to hot/cold currently so hopefully it is just a matter of time for everything to settle down.
Glad to hear that it is not sensitive to temperature because that means that the nerve is most likely ok and will calm down over time. Just be sure you are not pounding on the tooth when chewing because that will just keep irritating the tooth and will cause it to take longer to settle down.
I too would not want to keep taking medications so hopefully this whole scenario will be short lived.
Sure hope so!!
It is possible that the extraction process just irritated the whole area which is causing the ache and if so it should calm down on its own quickly.
Please let me know if you have more concerns.
If not, hope you have a great weekend!