Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

My lips and tip of my tongue and above my front teeth have

Customer Question

my lips and tip of my tongue and above my front teeth have had a burning sensation for the past year. one Dr said bms is from stress- do your have any remedies?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer. You seem to lie in the grey area of orofacial pain , what we term as Atypical Facial Pain or Atypical Odontalgia, which does not respond to any therapy, and for which no cause can be found.There is nothing wrong with the teeth or gums. This type of pain is common at your age and in your gender. It can be provoked by dental treatment, underlying systemic disease or it may be brought on by stressful life events. These different types of pain do no not respond to conventional treatment, like antibiotics and steroids. They require non conventional treatment like sedatives, anxiolytics, antidepressants, physical self regulation, cognitive behavior therapy etc. I suggest you visit the Orofacial Pain/Oral Medicine department of the dental school nearest to you. A full assessment is required to eliminate any underlying cause. Screening tests should be carried out to exclude hematinic (blood) deficiencies and to rule out diabetes. If all this is negative, there might be an underlying psychogenic cause(anxiety). I also urge you to try alternative pain relief methods like acupuncture and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy- includes relaxation and breathing techniques and positive re-enforcement of thought. Sometimes such pain (if not related to teeth,gums) can be diagnosed in retrospect. That is, if you respond to certain type of medications, then the diagnosis can be confirmed. Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.Good Luck !Regards,Dr. Behere
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Behere - I went to one of the best oral facial pain Drs at UCLA - Dr Glen Clark - he called my condition small muscle fiber atrophy brought on by stress. He gave me the clonazepam to crush in water in leave in my mouth as a topical. I in turn have gone on Zolof for my panic attacks and take a Xanax or clonazapan orally - very often. I'm a single mom and an only child whose mother just had a severe brain bleed last sept- ts been rough! I think I will try accupuncture- good suggestion! is there anything else you can think of that may help? Today my son and I went to the movies - no stress - my lips were worse then usual. I'm so bummed. Thank you
lorraine
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lorraine,
I'm happy that you went to the right place. Topical Clonazepam works wonders for some patients, I hope it helps for you.
Atypical Facial Pain is by far the most challenging conditions to diagnose and manage.
Other than the alternatives I have outlined, I don't have anything new to add. You have to keep looking at out of the box options, anything new, experimental... You must give it a shot.
And don't worry about today's episode, stress levels don't really have an effect over a couple of hours or so, at the back your mind you are continually stressed out with what's been happening.
Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.
Please leave a positive rating if my answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise!
Regards, *****