Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

Dr Rampton, Today I noticed what seemed to be a blood

Customer Question

Hi Dr Rampton, Today I noticed what seemed to be a blood blister in the back left corner of my mouth on the gum, right about where my wisdom teeth are. I have never noticed anything like this before and it has me concerned, could this possibly be cancer?
It's on the same side that I had a root canal finished a few months back, and I'm worried it could be related (the root canal tooth is still giving me some pain here and there, it currently has a temporary cap) could you take a look and let me know your thoughts?
Thanks so much
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 1 year ago.
I doubt it is anything such as cancer (the "C" word). It does look like you mentioned, a blood blister. That said, it "should" begin to subside within a week, and even day to day. Here is what I would suggest: If you can watch it over the next week, and it begins to slowly dissipate, and eventually goes away... you are in the clear! However, if you are very overly concerned, you could go to your Dentist, they could numb & take a tissue sample/biopsy & send it to the lab for positive 100% identification - which would be in mad available withing 48 hours! Personally, I'd wait, watch & observe for a week. But, you could also be aggressive and get fast results by visiting your Dentist for a biopsy. Sorry for the trouble it is giving you. I suspect an accidental biting of the tissue there (somehow). I hope this helps you in making your decision & such. Dr. Rampton
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so suppose it is oral cancer, which you said is unlikely. I've heard that type is pretty easily treatable is this true?
Well, cancer almost always has a very irregular border. Is often extremely red or white in color, and changes size & shapes & colors. So, you are likely NOT looking at a cancer. With regard to cancer treatments, removal by an Oral Surgeon would be done, yes. But I do not believe (almost certain by the looks alone) you will need to remove any cancer. The biopsy, may cost around $150-$200, but will alleviate your mind... it's a call for you to make.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, it seems to be pretty much a perfect circle and is a very dark red, almost black.Thanks so much, dr Rampton. Would you be ok with me leaving this thread open for a day or two so I can reach back out if I have further questions?
Oh, definitely so! And... I don't mean to brush it off. It looks like a blood blister. Granted, in a somewhat unusual spot? I just would think you would "likely" be fine to observe it for a few days. But, please do decide to watch or biopsy, and please "DO" keep me in the loop - OK? I hope everything goes well for you. (-:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thanks a lot. I also talked to two physicians who told me it looks like a blood blister and they aren't a reason for concern. So, I'll definitely keep an eye on it and reach out and keep you updated.Thanks so much for all your help
Oh, by all means. You are quite astute to have noticed it in the first place!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Quick question. I performed oral sex on a girl I have been seeing off and on on Friday night. I know she is HIV negative, but besides that Im not positive about her STD status. Could this be related to that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, and by the way...it's already gone. I just ate dinner and it must have burst when I was eating because it's gone
I think it was nothing more than a a blood blister fortunately, and I'm so glad to see that it is goneeeeee...!!! Congratulations! ( - :