Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

The inside of my lips all around the front feel rough i

Customer Question

hi the inside of my lips all around the front feel rough i have this problem for a long time but now at night time I can not sleep because it is drying my mouth and the saliba get very heavy it is kind of a very hard to live with thank you if can give me some remedy for.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer. The most common causes for thick heavy sticky saliva are:-Dehydration, sinus infections, allergies, and xerostomia (dry mouth) as a side effect of medications.If you are taking a lot of medicine for various reasons, chances are that the dry mouth and thick saliva is due to the side effect of those medicines. Please visit the physician or doctor who has prescribed them, for alternatives, those that cause less of a dry mouth as a side effect. What can you do now?In just two words, stay hydrated !I am going to list a number of things for you to start doing immediately: 1. Buy a cool mist humidifier to moisten your bedroom air, especially at night. (Be sure to keep the humidifier clean to avoid spreading bacteria or mold in the air.)2.Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water a day, and take a water bottle with you when you leave home.3.Suck on sugarless candy or chew sugarless gum to stimulate saliva. Lemon drops often work well.4. Limit drinks with caffeine, like coffee, tea, colas, and chocolate.5. Eat soft, moist foods that are cool or at room temperature. Try blenderized fruits and vegetables, soft-cooked chicken and fish, well-thinned cereals, popsicles, smoothies, and slushies. Avoid foods that stick to the roof of the mouth like peanut butter or soft bread.Take small bites, and chew your food well.6.Avoid commercial mouthwashes, alcoholic and acidic drinks, and tobacco.7. Moisten dry food using broth, soup, sauces, gravy, yogurt, or creams. Give these seven steps at least 20 days to a month to work. if this has no effect whatsoever, then I suggest you visit the Oral Medicine department of the dental school nearest to you. A full assessment will be required to eliminate any underlying cause. Screening tests should be carried out to exclude hematinic (blood) deficiencies and to rule out diabetes. If all this is negative, there might be an underlying psychogenic cause(anxiety) for the dry mouth causing the thick saliva. Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise. Good Luck !Regards,Dr. Behere