Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

MY UPPER LIP AND AREA UNDER MY NOSE ARE VERY SWOLLEN, AND THERE

Customer Question

MY UPPER LIP AND AREA UNDER MY NOSE ARE VERY SWOLLEN, AND THERE IS A BIG SWOLLEN BUMP ON MY NECK. I DON'T THINK I WAS BITTEN BY AN INSECT. COULD IT BE A REACTION TO THE DENTAL SURGERY I HAD LAST WEEK (5 IMPLANTS)? TO VICODIN (WHICH THEY GAVE ME FOR PAIN)? TO SEAWEED IN THE MISO SOUP I WAS DRINKING LAST WEEK? SOMETHING ELSE? MY MOUTH IS GROTESQUELY DISTORTED, AND THE BUMP ON MY NECK LARGE AND PAINFUL.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
I am sorry you are having a bad allergic reaction
you should see a doctor as soon as possible about this
allergic reactions can be dangerous and can get worse and can affect swelling of your tongue and cause closing up of your airway in severe cases.
I see you have started using antihistamines such as benadryl to stop the itching
you might need a course of steroid pills like a medrol steroid pack to help decrease this allergic reactions
you will need to avoid the vicodin and miso soup for now.
Vicodin contains hydrocodone just like Lortab pain pills contain hydrocodone
you need to contact your dental surgeon as well and let them know about this reaction
you will need other pain pills like Tylenol with codeine (Tylenol #3) or oxycodone which hopefully won't cause these same reactions
eventually you will need to see an allergy and immunology doctor to get skin testing to check what you are allergic to.
having an epi pen around in the future is a good idea as well if you are prone to having these bad allergic reactions
let me know if you have questions.