Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I have 2 implants on teeth number 7 and 9. i have missing teeth

Customer Question

I have 2 implants on teeth number 7 and 9. i have missing teeth on number 8 and 10. My question is can a bridge be placed on the four teeth using those 2 implants?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 1 year ago.
What you are proposing is feasible in theory, but whether or not this strategy is truly possible or advisable would depend on the specifics of your case. For one thing, the fabrication of a fixed bridge with two or more abutments requires that those abutments (in this case, your two implant fixtures at positions 7 and 9) be in relatively good alignment. A small misalignment can often be compensated for with the use of custom angulated abutments, but large angular corrections will lead to less than optimal results. In addition, the fabrication of four teeth on only two implant fixtures essentially obligates those two fixtures to sustain twice the amount of functional force they would receive if they were only holding two teeth. This is particularly a consideration in the upper jaw, where the bone density is lower than that in the lower jaw. Therefore, the implants must be long and well-supported by bone along their entire length in order to deal with the magnitude of chewing force they will encounter. Finally, the fact that the missing tooth at #10 position will be outboard of the two supporting implants-- i.e., it will be a "cantilever"-- this will produce a torquing force on those implants, which is less than optimal, engineering-wise. Your dentist may wish to extend your fixed bridge to the #11 (upper left canine) tooth, which typically has a long, well-supported root-- although mixing natural teeth and implants as fixed bridge abutments is still considered a controversial approach. In sum, a fixed bridge such as you describe can't be ruled out when considered out of its real-world context, but your dentist can provide you with more specific assessments of the feasibility of your proposed treatment based on the particular circumstances of your case. Hope this helps...