Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I've been in horrible pain the last few days with one

Customer Question

Hello. I've been in horrible pain the last few days with one of my teeth. I couldn't quite pinpont which tooth it was but after an xray it was decided that it was probably a tooth that happened to be between two teeth that had root canals. (No crowns yet) I had the tooth pulled today but once novacaine wore off I was in excruciating pain in the tooth with a root canal. I'm on norcos and advil and I get no relief. Is it possible I've had the wrong tooth pulled? I didn't think a tooth with a root canal could have so much pain. If I just put my tongue on this tooth it is so excruciating.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr Matthew Kremser replied 1 year ago.
A tooth with a root canal can have severe pain- but the pain is coming from an infection under the tooth, within the bone, not from a nerve within the tooth. As for your situation, it is possible that the wrong tooth was extracted, but it is also possible that the tooth is simply irritated from the extraction. Again, not entirely likely, but possible. You need to be seen again and retested just in case...