Dr. Peel
Dr. Peel, Dentist
Experience:  General dentist with 20+ years of experience.
17496805

My dentist has said that I have active periodontal disease around many of my teeth but I c

Customer Question

My dentist has said that I have active periodontal disease around many of my teeth but I cannot see the periodontal specialist until September. The disease has caused drifting of my upper left 2 and the adjacent upper left 3 also has significant bone loss and grade 3 mobility. Other than brushing and flossing is there anything else I should be doing in the meantime e.g. such as using a mouthwash
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I will try my best to provide you with the answer to your question.
I am afraid that I agree with your dentist. With that much mobility, bone loss and drifting that your best course is to see the periodontist asap. If getting there or finances are a problem,however, I would recommend a deep cleaning with your general dentists hygienist if that is an option.
At home remedies are less than ideal but you can do the following just to try and keep the dentition cleaner and arrest further damage.
1. Use a slurry of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to brush your teeth.
2. rinse with warm salt water. (use one teasp salt to 6 oz warm water. rinse and repeat until gone) do this two or three times a day.
3. use a proxy brush to clean between teeth.
If you can, purchase a sonic tooth brush. The vibrations make removal of plaque buildup easier.
I hope that helps. Try these things and get to the specialist asap as your dentist prescribed. Please ask more if you need to. Thanks.