Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

Dr. Chen. My name is ***** ***** I got 2 upper tooth extraction 8 days ago. The last 3

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Chen. My name is ***** ***** I got 2 upper tooth extraction 8 days ago. The last 3 days I've experience a lot of pain on one side. It hurts to where when I bite down gently, i feel like the pain is in my lower teeth. Ibuprofen sort of helps with the pain but not like it did when i first got my teeth extracted. What can i do to help with the pain? I am going to see my dentist later and wondering if a narcotic would help with it since a lot of people recommended it.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer. Pain following an extraction (even a difficult one) should subside in 8 days. Im glad you are going back to your dentist so that he can have a look at the extraction socket. A narcotic would definitely help, but you would need a prescription for it. Before you try that, I suggest you try this regimen (just plain ibuprofen will not be enough) : Switch between taking 400 milligrams of ibuprofen (e.g., 2 tablets of Advil), and 1000 milligrams of acetaminophen (e.g., 2 tablets of extra-strength Tylenol) every 3 hours. Be careful not to use these medications if you have had previous adverse reactions to either, or if you have had gastritis or peptic ulcer disease in the past, or if you have liver disease.Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.Good Luck !Regards,Dr. Behere